Bone broth is one of my favorite parts of my diet. Not only is it delicious, it's extremely good for you. There are many different types of broth on the market, but they're not all created equal.
Look for organic, free range, grass-fed, gluten-free, soy-free stock. It has the most nutrients.
You can also try this great recipe I found from Goop.com, or order broth powder from Ancient Nutrition.
MAKES 12 CUPS
- 1 half organic chicken
- 1 celery stalk, cut into thirds
- 1 yellow onion, cut in quarters
- 2 medium carrots, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 3-inch piece ginger, sliced
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 10 cups water (or enough to cover all the ingredients)
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 20 black peppercorns
1. Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Remove meat from chicken, shred, and store until ready to use.
2. Return the chicken bones to the crockpot* and continue cooking for 4 more hours.
3. Strain, cool, season to taste with salt, and store in the fridge.
* If you don't have a crockpot you can cook this on the stove in a large pot.